Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Summer Update

With July here, I am mapping out my plans for the rest of the summer. I’ll have my usual slow-down for summer yardwork (I don’t really enjoy the yardwork, but it is my repayment to my wife for all the time I spend on hobby and other fun stuff), but I still have a few gaming projects planned for the summer.

On the miniatures side, I’ve been working putting together my 1/700 scale modern Japanese missile boats and Chinese frigate. I have pans to use these models, along with the fishing boats that came in the same box as the Japanese ships, with naval (Bulldogs Away rules) or air (AirWar C21 rules) games. I’ve had the models for a while and it will be nice to have them done. I’ll get some pictures of these up when they are completed.
The box art for the Japanese missile boats I'm working on
The PLAN Type 054A+ frigate I got some time ago
As with the past two years, I’m planning some more solitaire gaming this summer. This year I’m pulling out my copy (and a VASSAL virtual game) of Tokyo Express. I’ve had this game for a long time, but it has been a while since it has been on the table. I’m going to use the campaign out of The General Volume 28 Issue 5 as the basis for the game.
Tokyo Express gamebox cover (from Boardgame Geek)
I’ve also been playing the new Cold Waters computer game. It is basically an update and reimagining of the old Red Storm Rising computer game by the team that did Pacific Fleet and Atlantic Fleet. You get to command one U.S. submarine during World War III, so the scope and play are very different from the company's Fleet games. I like the game, it is pretty fun and true to its roots.
One of the promo images from the game
I have a few other ideas waiting in the wings as time permits. I’ll share those as they come up in the queue, but this is a good start for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment