Saturday, March 5, 2022

Battle at the Bridge

A few of us got together for a Rebels and Patriots American Civil War game today. The scenario was a variation of the Widow Creek Bridge scenario from the rules, adapted for more players. The Union force was still advancing to take a defended bridge, but we added a ford downriver to allow for a little more maneuvering. The Confederate starting had a hasty breastworks at the bridge, but had to spread out forces to cover the ford. Confederate reinforcements would enter on turn 2.

The bridge defenders behind their breastworks
Holding the bridge was worth 3 VP, holding the ford was worth 1 VP, and holding the farm was worth 1 VP. To hold an objective, no enemy force could be within 12" of the objective. At the start of turn 10, the Confederates would roll a die to determine if the game would end. If the die roll plus the turn number was 15 or more, the game would end at the end of the turn. 

I was on the Union with some veteran line infantry and a medium artillery piece. My job was to take the bridge. The other Union player had lighter forces and would take the ford. 

Confederate defenses at the ford

My artillery aims at the breastworks

Things went well for the Union for the first few turns. I used my artillery and veteran line troops to fire away at the bridge defenders. My fellow Union player got to the ford and was holding off the Confederate reinforcements.

Plunking away at the defenders

Rebel reinforcements

Facing off across the ford
After being battered by my artillery and troops, the bridge defenders failed a morale check and headed for the hills. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to take advantage of this before the Confederates moved an infantry unit up to cover the other side of the bridge.
Getting across the breastworks and onto the bridge

Same shot from the Confederate point of view

My Colonel was taken out by a rebel shot, which delayed me from charging across the bridge. My partner at the ford was starting to take heavier casualties as the Confederate reinforcements advanced. 

Trouble for the Union at the ford

At the beginning of turn 10, the Confederate player rolled a 6, so the game would end at the end of this turn. I charged across the bridge, hoping to take it for the win. I was successful in driving off the Rebels.

My veterans drive off the rebels
But the Confederates got the last move and moved troops within 12 inches of the bridge. So my victory was negated. The game ended with a minor Confederate. Overall, it was a fun scenario, with each side having good and bad die rolls. Everyone had good time and we are looking forward to getting in some more Rebels and Patriots games.




3 comments:

  1. Great looking game, Dave! I think I've only played these rules once before - hosted by Kevin and/or David S. at Enfilade a few years ago, IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you were playing the Retreat from Concord game. Rebels and Patriots is nice generic Horse and Musket era set of rules. We have a lot of fun with it.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah! You were a GM - lol! Forgot about that.

      Delete